Sunday, May 2, 2010

How many was that???

On a self-guided foot tour of the Newbury/Bolyston and Landsdowne Street areas in Boston yesterday on the hunt for a happening spot to watch the Kentucky Derby, I happened upon a staple on the Beantown eatery trail: Spike's Junk Yard Dogs. It is home spanktacular hot dogs but also to an eating challenge which draws the New England residents harboring extremely expandible stomaches.

Filling the space between the framed imagines of 65 Mustangs and other muscle cars are the Polaroids of those men and women who put away 6, 7, or 8 dogs allowing them to make Spike's wall of fame. As you move closer to the register, your eye catches a doghouse called "The Kennel Club" painted on the wall with just a handful of photos plastered in it. I found a familar face in there almost immediately on the second row from the top with "15 Dogs" labeling the white area. As I cracked a smile and pointed out my find to my cohort, I noticed that same face was smiling back at me from a second photo at the top of the mound, with "17 Dogs" written on it. The smiling face was that of the Great Moomsi or, more personally, my brother, the great G$$ Maloomian. When I told him I had seen the photos his reply was, "Well I ate 17 and 3/4 dogs but I just couldn't finish it - they should have counted the 3/4!!"

Some of you may have seen his photo on the walls of eateries through New England, New Jersey, Califonia, and even Madison, WI, showcasing his ability to conquor the most stuffing of food challenges, but most people became a fan Great Moomsi after his appearance on the Man vs Food season finale as Adam's partner for a 10 pound pizza challenge in CT. They won, by the way if you missed it, and while I do find G$$'S hobby quite amusing, I have to stand on my nutrition feet and say that competitive eating is not something you should set as your latest life goal to master (I feel like an add right now - KIDS DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!). That tremedous influx of fat, sodium, and sugar is torturous to your digestive, filtration and body balance check systems which can leave you feeling terrible for days and days (that is, if you don't have a heart attack first from the shock to your system)

Anyway though, it is always heart warming to see someone you know pictured as a celebrity on the wall of a public establishment, and for that, I am very proud of him! If you would like to fill up on G$$'s amazing talent visit his site thegreatmoomsi.comENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment