Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday Fun Day

Alas I have been troving the acres of Westchester County, NY at another horse show and have been unable to connect to the Internet. (I really need to get one of those wireless cards don't I!) While no tents blew down this time and the show moved a long at an unremarkable pace, I was still happy to get home on a Saturday night so that I might enjoy one of my most favorite breakfasts on Sunday morning. Anyone who knows me, knows that pancakes rein supreme in my world (pretty much all kinds but mostly ones with chocolate chips), I think it goes back to the special holiday breakfast dad used to make G$$ and I, which really only occurred on Christmas morning. Anyway, in a pretty close second place is this concoction Mom always makes on Sunday mornings, which is her self proclaimed "bacon day".

*1/2 bagel (I prefer the top half of a sesame bagel :) or you could also use a piece of a baguette sliced lengthwise so you have lots of crust!)
*sliced muenster cheese, enough to cover the surface (obviously you can use a different cheese if you don't like muenster)
*1 slice of bacon, cooked until very crispy
*tomato slices

1. cook bacon until very crispy, drain on paper towel until ready to use
2. toast the 1/2 of a bagel or bread to your desired toastedness (is that a word?)
3. cover surface with cheese, place in toaster over (or big oven) on 325 to bake until cheese is melted
4. slice a small tomato (I like the ones that are about the size of golf ball - they come in a plastic flat from Costco- otherwise I recommed Cherry Tomatoes they will have the most flavor) - 1 tomato will be perfect for 1/2 a bagel
5. When cheese is melted remove from oven, crumble bacon over the top of the cheese, then place the tomato slices on top
ENJOY!!!!

**As always to lighten it up you can use low sodium bacon; turkey bacon; or natural bacon; for cheese if you want to a lower fat cheese go right ahead - I will warn that 50% less fat cheese tastes fabulous - you really won't know the difference, however, 75% less fat cheese and non fat cheese is CRAP don't waste your time you will be sorely saddened!

No comments:

Post a Comment