Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Agnolotti? Don't mind if I do!


On a recent trip to NYC I had promised my host that I would make us dinner one of the nights I stayed with her. Though busy at work all week, I had plenty of time to figure out what I was craving as I sat in Friday rush hour traffic infront of the GW bridge, which if you have ever frequented, is a huge pain in the ass.

I wanted something creamy and cheesy but no overwhelmingly heavy. What I decided on was a knockoff (yes I'll proudly admit it) of a dish I had many years ago at Fahrenheit.

-1 pound Agnolotti (the half moon shaped ravioli - I got ones filled with Pesto and cheese, you could choose most any filling)
-Marscapone Cheese (truth be told, I don't know how much it was, the store had a big container and a small container, I used the big one which was about 1.5 cups)
-1/2 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
-1 tablespoon fresh thyme
-salt and pepper
-1 cup cherry tomatoes
-teaspoon olive oil

1. Boil the water - add about 1 tablespoon salt - dump in agnolloti and cook until done about 6 minutes
2. Heat over medium heat, olive oil in pan, add thyme leaves, cook about 30 second to 1 minute
3. Add marscapone cheese and stir until it all melts and spreads thin, then add chicken broth, stirring to combine.
4. Season with salt and pepper
5. Add tomatoes and then when agnolloti are tender, drain them and add to sauce.
6. Cook together another 6 minutes stirring regularly so that sauce does not burn and all items are heated throughout. You would like for the tomatoes to pop open a little bit also.

I served with a hearty loaf of bread and a platter of roasted vegetables (porchini mushrooms, red & yellow bell peppers, asparagus) and a soft, slightly acidic Chardonnay to cut the fat from the cheese.

1 comment: