Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Great new find - BABY KALE

So while shopping the other day and looking for salad greens, I reached for my staple arugula and saw a container of Olivia's Organics baby kale .

Baby kale? Really? I know that full grown kale can be tough and is usually best in a stew or braised (or as the garnish with an orange slice on your restaurant plate) but I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try. Last night I made this simple salad with it that was excellent. The greens were very tender and had a flavor part way between arugula and baby spinach. They weren't peppery like the arugula but had a similar flavor. Try it out for yourself!

Salad Fixins:
Baby kale
Sliced radishes
Red pepper slices
Strawberry slices
Asiago cheese, shredded (I used about 2oz)
Chick peas

Dressing: (I just make a batch of this [about 1 cup] and leave it in the ice box)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
fresh ground pepper
1 large clove garlic chopped and then mushed into paste with salt
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
**whisk all together

2 comments:

  1. What quantity of chick peas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you are just making a smaller salad for yourself maybe 1/4 cup, if you are making a larger salad to feed multiple people about 1/2-2/3 of a cup would be good.

    ReplyDelete