Monday, April 29, 2013

Spring has Sprung in the Garden

I think it is finally true - we are finally in spring! I went out to vegetable garden yesterday to see what kind of disarray it was in and to my surprise some yummy things were popping their heads up. The asparagus has finally started to grow (now for anyone who does not know/grow asparagus - it comes back up every year for about 25-30 years before it 'retires'), some of the herbs were coming back to life and a few scallions (green onions) who must have been planted last fall and never germinated have decided that they will bust through the earth also. So I gathered myself 4 spears of asparagus, a hand full of chives, 2 scallions and a handful of dandelion greens (that great weed which just runs rampant around yards - we don't use any chemicals at our house on the lawns or gardens so picking the greens is safe for me, but you need to be careful if you use a lawn company to work in your yard!!) I brought my loot inside and made myself this great spring dinner. It does make a lot - so sharing is great or make 1/2 the amount.

2 scallions, sliced
4 spears asparagus, sliced (I did not cook them because they are quite fresh, young and tender)
1/2 cup chopped chives
1 cup dandelion greens
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen cauliflower
1/3 cup brown lentils
1/4 cup walnuts
1 oz asiago cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons pesto sauce (see recipe under 'sauce' link)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1. Place lentils in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Let cook about 15 minutes until al dente. Add frozen vegetables to thaw and cook about 5 minutes more. Strain.
2. Place lentil mix on top of garden items in a bowl. Mix pesto into lentil mix, drizzle vinegar over the top and then cheese. Mix.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment