Thursday, August 8, 2013

Looking for something different for breakfast? (or even dinner!)

I am on a ton a list serves and get copious amounts of 'junk email' each day, but occasionally something comes through that I decide I just have to share. This came through from the LiveStrong people, and I could never have put these ingredients together myself, though I do love me some Sriracha! I doubt you will look and feel like Lance Armstrong after you eat it but it could quite possibly taste delicious and start your day off right. I have pasted the recipe in its entirety here and have added a photo of Sriracha so that you know what that looks like - it is a spicy/hot Thai chili pepper sauce, similar to Tabasco but with a smoother taste.

INGREDIENTS:1/2 cup dry (slow-cook) oatmeal*
1 cup water
1 egg
1 Tablespoon chia seeds
1 Tablespoon tamari or low sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sriracha (if you like things spicy, like I do! I was inspired by the Sriracha Cookbook Blog)
Salt and pepper to taste
*I use slow-cook oatmeal because the glycemic load for fast-cook or instant oats is quite a bit higher than that of rolled or steel-cut oats. That means that a bowl of quick-cooking or instant oats might not keep you satisfied for as long as rolled or steel-cut oats would.
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Boil water on stove top and cook oatmeal according to package.
  2. When oatmeal is a few minutes away from being ready, crack and stir in one egg.
  3. Stir in tamari or soy sauce, chia seeds, and sriracha sauce (if you like things spicy!), and salt and pepper to your taste.


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/surprising-easy-egg-recipes#ixzz2bNiE5Abh

No comments:

Post a Comment