Monday, June 14, 2010

Beware the protein supplement

A report came out last week about protein supplements. 15 supplements were tested for four toxic elements: Arsenic, Lead, Mercury, and Cadmium. At the end of the testing two brands were found to have toxic levels of all four toxic elements: Myoplex and Muscle Milk if three servings were consumed in one day. Many of the other brands tested positive for trace amounts or even for a measurable amount of atleast one of the four. While some people who use Myoplex or Muscle Milk might not consume 3 servings per day (3 scoops if using dry powder), I wouldn't wage any bets on only having one serving per day and it not affecting my health. Mercury, for one, is not excreted by the body (think deep water fish & mercury contamination - the bigger the fish the more contamination due to the biomagnification), so that toxic element will build up in your body over time. Arsenic was (and I am sure sometimes still is) used as a poison to kill whatever is alive, and so I don't think I would want to be drinking something that was known to contain it unless I was on a suicide mission. I will investigate some alternative proteins to use but to all my friends out there, get rid of the muscle milk, don't dump it down the sink, I wouldn't want it to pollute the streams too...

No comments:

Post a Comment