Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Breakfast Heaven = Alice's Tea Cup, NYC

Ok, but before I get started on the heavenly food at Alice's, did anyone see on Yahoo today the article about the rotating house in Wilton, CT??!! It is for sale and at the push of a button the circular home rotates! It takes 48 minutes for a complete rotation! That would be pretty cool to have a house that does that with awesome views!
Anyway! So Alice's Tea Cup!! It was my second venture to this upper west side establishment and boy was I super excited to be going there for brunch (my first encounter was just for afternoon tea and scones). I believe my exact words the night before were, "I don't know if I can sleep, I am to excited for brunch!" I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED! The brunch menu is short, poached eggs served three different ways, french toast bread pudding, made to order crepes, or a sampler tower, and of course scones. The tea menu is 10x longer then the food menu and obviously I had to get the 'Robious Kimberly' tea! I finally decided on poached eggs with spinach atop a buttermilk scone. The eggs were poached just to my liking with a creamy, orange center that screamed 'free-range, organic deliciousness'. The savoriness of the egg yolk soaking into the sweet biscuit and the spinach, together, made quite the heavenly bite! A side salad of mixed greens was a welcome accompaniment to breakfast instead of the usual potatoes. As if I wasn't full enough, the warm chocolate chip scone was calling my name. Who can resist hunks of warm, melted chocolate enveloped in a sweet, fluffy, biscuit-like pastry? Most certainly not me! I am actually sad that no one got a picture of me like a small child with chocolate all over my fingers and face! The scones come with a cup of raspberry preserves and fresh whipped cream.
Queen and the German Bday girl opted for the sampler tower and what a tower it was! Two sandwiches, three scones, a plate of cookies, slice of mocha chip cake - it was the works! Queen took a bite of each cookie, like a child trying to decide which one he wants to actually eat! The German, who has been living in London - land of the scone - for quite some time remarked "I had to come all the way to New York to get a decent scone! This is the best one I have ever had!" The individual tea pots provide at least 3 cups worth of steaming, robust flavors and if you can't finish all that tea, your fairy-wing wearing waitress will provide you with a to-go cup so you can prose the nearby shops and enjoy the rest!

For sure you need to stop here if you are ever in NYC. They now have three 'chapters' or locations throughout the city! On weekends you can put your name on the waitlist and leave and they will CALL YOU when your table is ready! That is super service!

No comments:

Post a Comment