Saturday, September 18, 2010

OOOOO my goodness! I have been a terrible blogger! Almost a whole week and nothing! I have been busy in the food sector though don't you worry!

Tuesday night I busted into Davis Square in Sommerville, MA with a great group of high school friends, to the new hot spot, The Foundry. The front window-walls were down, and hipsters and businessmen alike sit at benches facing the street for people watching and a great breeze or at a communal table in the center of the bar. We sat in a booth in the restaurant portion. Tuesday is Coq au Vin night. I ordered it, and it did not disappoint. The chicken was so moist and it just fell off the bone, onto a heaping portion of homemade spaetzle. I have to admit there is nothing quite like spaetzle hanging out in the bottom of a boal, soaking up Coq au Vin braising juice. Carrots, potatoes and pearl onions made you feel better that you at least got a few good vitamins in you :)

Wednesday night I enjoyed a beer on the patio of the sort-of new Yard House in the Dedham Legacy Place Shopping Center. I had a Racer IPA, which might be one of the best IPAs I have tasted. It was bitter and it was hoppy, but it was rich yet light on the tongue at the same time. It was not the first time I had tried this beer. It wowed me the first time and this time I gained much appreciation for it.

Thursday it was off to Fiorella's in Newtonville, MA. I pulled up along side this establishment, with out my windows down, and before I even opened the car door all I could smell was garlic. This was either going to be 'cliche bad Italian' or a little slice of Heaven. Thank goodness it was the later. All the food is made in the entry way to the restaurant and when I say 'in the entry way' I am not exaggerating. You really feel as if you were in someones home at this place. You can hear the saute pans sizzling, and if you listen closely and can recognize it, the drone in the background is boiling water amongst the clanking wine glasses. Tables at this local hot spot are hard to come by after 6pm and if you got the scallops over risotto you would know why. Perfectly browned on the top and bottom, yet not a hint of over-cooked rubberiness in these delicate morsels from the sea. The risotto was not creamy like I was expecting, by more like a flavorful sticky rice with a kick from crushed red pepper. I quite enjoyed this change of pace from the usual risotto consistency which sometimes resembles a breakfast mush. Sauteed asparagus and tomatoes rounded out the gut stuffing dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment