Friday, October 1, 2010

So the demo went ok! The Hommus was nice and garlicky and even lentil-frowners tried the Ahka Di Josh. We chatted through issues with protein intake and laughed about episodes of Julia Child. It was more like I was cooking for my family (minus the wine) then for a group a random people who were also my patients. Some people liked the food, some didn't. Every one's tastes are different, I know that, I understand that but luckily the people who didn't like it, didn't say so and those that did let me know that they appreciated the suggestions :) hehehe

When all was said and eaten, and after Jocelyn had cleaned all the dishes I was still left with about 3 pounds of cooked lentils. I ate leftovers for lunch and dinner for two days before I said "I call it quits - I have to do something with all these lentils!" So this morning I jumped out of bed - it was too windy to run, so I thought, I'll make soup! Why not! If you can't exercise, you should cook right? I rummaged around the refrigerator and this is what I came up with. The smokey-garlic aroma rising up from the pot almost made me want to dive in at 8am and start my day with a bowl of Lentil-Sausage soup (however I refrained and had a bowl of granola cereal with raisins)!

I hope you enjoy!

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium sized carrots, sliced
1/2 cup diced red onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 package turkey kielbasa, diced
6 cups pre-cooked green/brown lentils
6 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1 cup Israeli couscous
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme

1. Heat olive oil in a stock pot. Add carrots, garlic, onion. Season with salt and pepper - let sweat and saute for about 8 minutes.
2. Add diced kielbasa and saute another 6 minutes until fragrant.
3. Add 2 cups chicken broth and deglaze pan (scraping up all broth bits in bottom/sides of pan)
4. Add rest of chicken broth and dried herbs and bring to a boil.
5. Add couscous, cook 12 minutes. Stir in precooked lentils and heat through if eating immediately or just stir in the lentils and then divide soup into containers and freeze for a ready made lunch or dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment